Interior Designers plan, design, detail and supervise the construction of commercial, industrial, retail and residential building interiors to produce an environment tailored to a purpose, with particular emphasis on space creation, space planning, and factors that enhance living and working environments. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by consulting with clients and stakeholders
- researching and analysing spatial, functional, efficiency, safety and aesthetic requirements
- formulating design concepts for building interiors
- preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations and plans to communicate design concepts
- negotiating design solutions with clients, management, suppliers and construction staff
- selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, furniture and products for interiors
- detailing and documenting selected design for construction
- supervising the construction of interiors