Telecommunications Engineering Professionals design, construct, install, service and support telecommunications equipment, systems and facilities. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- planning, designing, building, configuring and commissioning telecommunications devices, networks and systems, such as voice, radio, two-way, data, microwave, satellite and digital data systems, and ensuring telecommunications systems interconnect with equipment from different manufacturers, service providers and users
- compiling engineering project proposals to define goals, identify scope, background and need, and ascertain cost of equipment, parts and services
- evaluating and procuring new products and services from vendors
- ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures in the provision of telecommunications systems
- selecting and developing new telecommunications sites by locating sites, filing documents, drawing up documents for approval, drafting construction drawings and following through to approval
- determining appropriate configurations of telecommunications hardware and software, ensuring desired performance of telecommunications equipment
- preparing and interpreting specifications, drawings and regulations for the use of telecommunications equipment
- determining the type and arrangement of circuits, transformers, circuit-breakers, transmission lines and equipment
- identifying and analysing problems and needs of existing telecommunications systems, such as interference, intelligibility and clarity, to determine the most appropriate means of reducing, eliminating and avoiding current and future problems and improve communications
- monitoring telecommunications systems to assess need for updates, upgrades, enhancements, preventive maintenance and new systems
- assessing performance levels of system hardware and software to project future needs, and developing shortand long-terms plans for updating equipment, adding capabilities, enhancing existing systems and providing improved telecommunications
- Telecommunications Engineer
- Telecommunications Network Engineer