Data on Job Outlook are updated on a yearly basis and are compiled from national statistics which may not reflect either regional variations or more recent changes in employment conditions.
- Over the five years to November 2019, the number of job openings for Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators is expected to be above average (between 25,001 and 50,000). Job openings count both employment growth and turnover (defined as workers leaving their occupation for other employment or leaving the workforce). Further information about job openings and projected employment growth is available on the Help page.
- Employment for this occupation rose strongly (in percentage terms) in the past five years and rose strongly in the long-term (ten years). Looking forward, employment for Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators to November 2019 is expected to grow very strongly.
- This is a very large occupation (49,400 in November 2014) suggesting that opportunities should be available in most regions.
- Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators have an average proportion of full-time jobs (75.7 per cent). For Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators working full-time, average weekly hours are 40.1 (compared to 40.9 for all occupations) and earnings are below average - in the fourth decile. Unemployment for Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators is average.
- The most common level of educational attainment for Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators is Bachelor degree (41.2 per cent).
- Graphic and Web Designers, and Illustrators are mainly employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, Manufacturing and Information Media and Telecommunications.
These data show 9 key indicators for this occupation - employment size, full-time share of employment, earnings, unemployment, historical employment growth (long-term, medium term and short-term), future employment growth, mix of industries and job openings. Estimates have been rounded and consequently some discrepancies may occur between sums of the component items and totals.
|How many workers are employed in this occupation?||49,400||9|
|How many work full-time (% share)?||75.7||5|
|What are the weekly earnings for full-time workers ($ before tax)?||990||4|
|How does unemployment compare with other occupations?||average||5|
|What has been the long-term employment growth - 10 years (%)?||55.4||8|
|What has been the medium-term employment growth - 5 years (%)?||26.5||8|
|What has been the short-term employment growth - 2 years (%)?||-2.7||5|
|What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?||very strong growth||9|
|What will be the level of future job openings?||above average||8|