Mixed Crop and Livestock Farmers plan, organise, control, coordinate and perform farming operations to both grow crops and to breed and raise livestock. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- planning and coordinating the production and marketing of crops and livestock
- breeding and raising livestock for the production of meat, wool, skins, milk or eggs, and growing grain, seed crops, vegetables, fruit or nuts
- monitoring and maintaining the health and condition of livestock
- providing pastures and fodder to maintain appropriate nutritional levels
- selecting and purchasing seed for planting, planning and implementing breeding programs
- directing and overseeing general farming activities such as fertilising, and pest and weed control
- maintaining farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- organising the sale, purchase and transportation of livestock and produce
- maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity and planning production accordingly
- managing business capital, monitoring market activity and planning production accordingly
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors
- Mixed Crop and Livestock Farmer