Journalists and Other Writers research and compile news stories, write and edit news reports, commentaries and feature stories for presentation in print and electronic media, and compose written material to advertise goods and services. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- determining advertising approach by consulting clients and management, and studying products to establish principal selling features
- writing advertisements for press, radio, television, cinema screens, billboards, catalogues and shop displays
- making decisions about the specific content of publications in conjunction with other senior editors and in accordance with editorial policies and guidelines
- reviewing copy for publication to ensure conformity with accepted rules of grammar, style and format, coherence of story, and accuracy, legality and probity of content
- collecting and analysing facts about newsworthy events from interviews, printed matter, investigations and observations
- writing news reports, commentaries, articles and feature stories for newspapers, magazines, journals, television and radio on topics of public interest
- researching and writing technical, information-based material and documentation for manuals, text books, handbooks and multimedia products
- critically discussing daily news topics in the editorial columns of newspapers and reviewing books, films and plays
- Newspaper or Periodical Editor
- Print Journalist
- Radio Journalist
- Technical Writer
- Television Journalist
- Journalists and Other Writers