Financial Brokers operate as independent agents to facilitate the trading of commodities and arrange insurance and loans of money on behalf of clients. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- monitoring commodity prices, trends and other factors affecting the supply and demand for commodities
- negotiating the purchase and sale of commodities such as grains, wool, minerals and metals
- determining the specific financial and insurance requirements of clients, and researching and reviewing available finance and insurance products for suitability to meet clients' requirements
- analysing clients' financial status, discussing financial options and developing financial strategies
- recommending loan combinations that meet clients' needs
- interviewing prospective clients to explain insurance policy conditions, risks covered, premium rates and benefits, and to make recommendations on the amount and type of cover
- arranging insurance, home loan mortgages and other types of finance for clients through banks, lenders, financiers and insurance companies
- preparing documents which set out the conditions of finance, repayments and loan periods
- identifying and advising on significant risk changes to clients' insurance
- broking complex and commercial leases, equipment finance, commercial finance, project finance and finance for property developers
- Commodities Trader
- Finance Broker
- Insurance Broker
- Financial Brokers