Librarians develop, organise and manage library services such as collections of information, recreational resources and reader information services. Teacher-Librarians are excluded from this unit group. Teacher-Librarians are included in Minor Group 241 School Teachers. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- developing and implementing library and information policies and services
- examining publications and materials, interviewing publishers' representatives, and consulting with others to select library materials
- reviewing, evaluating and modifying services in response to user needs
- providing assistance to clients in accessing library resources
- managing library systems for recording and organising library holdings, acquisitions and purchases, reader registrations and loan transactions, and supervising indexing, filing and retrieval activities
- managing inter-library loan systems and information networks
- undertaking information research activities on behalf of clients
- selecting, ordering, classifying and cataloguing library and information resources
- monitoring collection development and culling programs
- supervising and training other library staff
- may plan and direct library promotion and outreach activities