Technical Sales Representatives represent companies in selling a range of industrial, medical and pharmaceutical goods and services to industrial, business, professional and other establishments. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- compiling lists of prospective client businesses using directories and other sources
- acquiring and updating knowledge of employers' and competitors' goods and services, and market conditions
- visiting regular and prospective client businesses to establish and act on selling opportunities
- assessing customers' needs and recommending and explaining goods and services to them
- monitoring customers' changing needs and competitor activity, and reporting these developments to sales management
- quoting and negotiating prices and credit terms, and completing contracts and recording orders
- arranging delivery of goods, installation of equipment and the provision of services
- reporting to sales management on sales made and the marketability of goods and services
- following up with clients to ensure satisfaction with goods and services purchased, and resolving any problems arising
- preparing sales reports and maintaining and submitting records of business expenses incurred
- Sales Representative (Industrial Products)
- Medical & Pharmaceutical Products Sales Rep
- Technical Sales Representatives