Urban and Regional Planners develop and implement plans and policies for the controlled use of urban and rural land, and advise on economic, environmental and social factors affecting land use. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- compiling and analysing data on economic, legal, political, cultural, demographic, sociological, physical and environmental factors affecting land use
- conferring with government authorities, communities, Architects, social scientists, Legal Professionals, and planning, development and environmental specialists
- devising and recommending use and development of land, and presenting narrative and graphic plans, programs and designs to groups and individuals
- advising governments and organisations on urban and regional planning and resource planning
- reviewing and evaluating environmental impact reports
- staying up-to-date with changes in building and zoning codes, regulations and other legal issues
- may serve as mediators in disputes over planning proposals and projects
- may speak at public meetings and appear before government to explain planning proposals
- Urban and Regional Planner