Electronics Engineers design, develop, adapt, install, test and maintain electronic components, circuits and systems used for computer systems, communication systems, entertainment, transport and other industrial applications. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- designing electronic components, circuits and systems used for computer, communication and control systems, and other industrial applications
- designing software, especially embedded software, to be used within such systems
- developing apparatus and procedures to test electronic components, circuits and systems
- supervising installation and commissioning of computer, communication and control systems, and ensuring proper control and protection methods
- establishing and monitoring performance and safety standards and procedures for operation, modification, maintenance and repair of such systems
- designing communications bearers based on wired, optical fibre and wireless communication media
- analysing communications traffic and level of service, and determining the type of installation, location, layout and transmission medium for communication systems
- designing and developing signal processing algorithms and implementing these through appropriate choice of hardware and software