University Lecturers and Tutors prepare and deliver lectures and conduct tutorials in one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at a university and conduct research in a particular field of knowledge. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- preparing and delivering lectures, and conducting tutorials, seminars and laboratory sessions
- preparing and marking essays, assignments and examinations
- advising students on academic and related matters
- attending departmental and faculty meetings, conferences and seminars
- supervising work programs of postgraduate and honours students and tutorial staff
- participating in setting course and degree requirements, curriculum revision and academic planning
- serving on council, senate, faculty and other committees and professorial boards
- conducting research and undertaking consultancies in a particular field of knowledge
- stimulating and guiding class discussions
- compiling bibliographies of specialised materials for reading assignments
- University Lecturer
- University Tutor