Agricultural Technicians perform tests and experiments, and provide technical support to assist Agricultural Scientists in areas such as research, production, servicing and marketing. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining topographical, physical and soil characteristics of farmland to determine its most effective use and identify nutrient deficiencies
- assisting in developing new methods of planting, fertilising, harvesting and processing crops to achieve optimum land usage
- identifying pathogenic micro-organisms and insects, parasites, fungi and weeds harmful to crops and livestock, and assisting in devising methods of control
- analysing produce to set and maintain standards of quality
- inspecting livestock to gauge the effectiveness of feed formulae
- assisting in controlled breeding experiments to develop improved crop and livestock strains
- arranging the supply of drugs, vaccines and other chemicals to Farmers and Farm Managers, and giving advice on their use
- collecting and collating data for research
- planning slaughtering, harvesting and other aspects of production processes
- may advise producers on farming techniques and management