Medical Technicians operate anaesthetic, cardiac, operating theatre and medical testing equipment, perform and assist with laboratory tests, and fill prescriptions in support of Health Professionals. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections to study the cells of blood and for histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications
- Anaesthetic Technician
- Cardiac Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Operating Theatre Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Technicians