Safety Inspectors inspect machines, equipment, working conditions and public places to ensure compliance with government and industry standards and regulations, in relation to occupational health and safety. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining equipment specifications, and inspecting and testing machines, equipment and clothing to ensure compliance with safety standards and serviceability
- inspecting factories and other work sites to ensure compliance with government and industry standards and regulations
- observing workers to ensure protective devices are being utilised according to regulations and that combustible and other hazardous materials are used and stored in accordance with approved procedures
- conducting tests in work areas to detect toxic fumes, explosive gas-air mixtures and other work hazards
- ensuring fire prevention equipment and other safety supplies, such as first aid kits, stretchers and blankets, conform to standards
- assisting in conducting safety meetings and campaigns, and organising training in general safety principles in keeping with regulations
- advising organisations on ways to comply with occupational health and safety legislative requirements
- investigating incidents and fatalities, to determine causes and to collect evidence of non-compliance with occupational health and safety legislation