Motor Mechanics repair, maintain and test motor vehicle and other internal combustion engines and related mechanical components. Motor Vehicle Parts and Accessories Fitters are excluded from this unit group. Motor Vehicle Parts and Accessories Fitters are included in Unit Group 8994 Motor Vehicle Parts and Accessories Fitters. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- detecting and diagnosing faults in engines and parts
- dismantling and removing engine assemblies, transmissions, steering mechanisms and other components, and checking parts
- repairing and replacing worn and defective parts and reassembling mechanical components, and referring to service manuals as needed
- performing scheduled maintenance services, such as oil changes, lubrications and engine tune-ups, to achieve smoother running of vehicles and ensure compliance with pollution regulations
- reassembling engines and parts after being repaired
- testing and adjusting mechanical parts after being repaired for proper performance
- diagnosing and testing parts with the assistance of computers
- may inspect vehicles and issue roadworthiness certificates or detail work required to achieve roadworthiness
- Motor Mechanic
- Diesel Motor Mechanic
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Small Engine Mechanic