Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers manufacture and repair prototype production units and purpose-built vehicle bodies, and install, repair and replace the interior trim of vehicles. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- constructing framework sections in metal, wood, fibreglass and other materials using shaping machines and cutting and welding equipment
- bolting, screwing, riveting and welding sections together to form complete frameworks
- cutting and shaping panels of sheetmetal, aluminium and reinforced plastic and attaching to frameworks using hand and power tools
- modifying assembly line vehicles to special requirements
- preparing new vehicle trim work according to drawings and sketches, and removing old coverings and fittings from vehicles and taking new measurements
- selecting and cutting pieces of fabric, vinyl and leather and sewing pieces together using heavy-duty sewing machines
- installing internal trim in vehicles such as lining, floor coverings and armrests
- attaching door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles
- Vehicle Body Builder
- Vehicle Trimmer