Plasterers apply and fix plasterboard partitions, suspended ceilings, fire rating systems, acoustic tiles, and composite wall linings to buildings, and apply decorative and protective coverings of plaster, cement and similar materials to the interiors and exteriors of structures. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- determining plasterboard layout, and installing insulation and vapour barriers
- measuring, marking and cutting plasterboard, lifting and positioning panels, and securing them to walls, ceilings and battens
- preparing corner beads and securing them in position
- fixing pre-cast cornices, panel mouldings, ceiling centres and other plaster fittings
- covering joins and nail holes with wet plaster and sealing compounds, and smoothing them using wet brushes and sand paper
- mixing and applying coats of plaster, cement and render to structures using trowels, and levelling and smoothing coats to uniform thickness
- plumbing and straightening corners, angles and wall and ceiling surfaces
- creating decorative textures in finishing coats
- applying and finishing acoustic, insulating and fireproofing materials bonded with plaster, plastic cement and similar materials
- Fibrous Plasterer
- Solid Plasterer