Wall and Floor Tilers lay ceramic, clay, slate, marble and glass tiles on external and internal walls and floors to provide protective and decorative finishes. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining plans, measuring and marking surfaces and laying out work
- preparing wall and floor surfaces by removing old tiles, grout and adhesive, filling holes and cracks, and cleaning surfaces
- spreading adhesive onto prepared surfaces and tiles, and setting tiles in position
- using tile-cutting tools to cut and shape tiles needed for edges and corners, and around objects such as fittings and pipes
- ensuring tiles are correctly aligned and spaced
- grouting tiles, and cleaning and removing excess grout
- applying waterproofing systems
- may lay floors of granolithic, terrazzo, cement or similar composition
- may lay coloured tiles in patterns to create mosaics