Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair industrial, commercial and domestic airconditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- establishing job requirements from drawings and specifications, and laying out installation reference points
- drilling holes, installing mounting brackets and cutting, bending and threading piping
- installing and repairing components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper lines for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, oil and chilled water
- bolting, soldering, riveting, welding and brazing pipes to connect equipment, and checking alignment and accuracy of fit
- filling systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks
- test-operating refrigeration systems, checking mechanisms and making adjustments
- removing test gas and fluid using vacuum pumps, and filling with refrigerant
- checking and overhauling refrigeration systems, diagnosing faults and repairing and replacing defective components
- adjusting system controls and mechanisms and reassembling systems
- recording causes of malfunctioning and action taken
- Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic