Butchers and Smallgoods Makers select, cut trim, prepare and arrange meat for sale and supply, operate meat and smallgoods processing machines, and manage the processes in the production of smallgoods. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- preparing meat for sale by removing bones, trimming fat and cutting, mincing and grinding meat to shape and size for display or as ordered
- preparing crumbed cuts of meat, and marinating, seasoning and curing special cuts
- selecting and preparing meat to produce smallgoods
- operating machines to grind, mix, mince and tenderise meat
- making seasonings and pickles by mixing spices, salt and other ingredients
- operating sausage filling machines, smoking chambers, and cooking kettles and vats
- advising customers on the suitability and uses of cuts of meat
- may assist in menu planning and scheduling, and in estimating food production costs
- Butcher or Smallgoods Maker