Printers set up and operate letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, newspaper, instant, digital and offset printing presses. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- setting, adjusting and monitoring substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other printing machine functions
- mixing ink and solvents to standard, and regulating paper and ink supply during print runs
- monitoring, evaluating and determining press operations manually and by computer to check print quality standards against proofs and detect malfunctions
- producing a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, flexographic and gravure printing presses, and in-line finishing systems
- preparing plates, blankets and impression cylinders on small offset lithographic printing presses
- loading paper into feeding mechanisms
- monitoring machine operations and quality of printing
- undertaking maintenance, adjustment, repair and cleaning of machines
- producing and managing digital print images, and transferring and outputting images
- may set up and operate paper and bookbinding guillotines
- Printing Machinist
- Small Offset Printer