Upholsterers make, rebuild and repair upholstered articles such as chairs, sofas, beds and mattresses. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- conferring with clients to determine materials and cost of furniture items to be made or repaired
- making and repairing wooden frames, and removing and replacing defective springs
- removing coverings, webbing and padding from old furniture
- securing material, padding, springs and webbing to articles to be upholstered
- measuring and cutting materials and covering furniture
- seaming cushions and joining sections of covering material
- attaching ornamental trims, braids and buttons
- padding and covering spring units to upholster mattresses
- may finish wooden surfaces on furniture
- may remove stains from fabric