Boat Builders and Shipwrights construct, fit out and repair boats and ships. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying plans and specifications, and preparing templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections
- marking reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways
- checking position and functioning of slipway apparatus
- assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- erecting and preparing launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures
- installing masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment
- building and installing structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- determining repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, Kevlar, fibreglass and concrete
- Boat Builder and Repairer