Signwriters design, fabricate and paint signs for displays, buildings, hoardings, boats and structures. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- conferring with clients and responding to proposals, sketches and written instructions to determine composition of signs
- designing and creating signs and graphics using computer software and signmaking machines
- designing and creating signs by measuring and calculating letter size, preparing the surface, applying background paint using brushes, sprays and rollers, and creating the letters using brushes, stencils, enamel paint and decals
- designing and creating wall murals, screen prints, gold leaf work and custom vehicle art
- painting signs and lettering using lacquers, varnishes, paints and other materials
- painting signs on brick, metal, timber, glass, plastic and other surfaces
- making and erecting three dimensional signs
- preparing cost estimates for labour and materials
- may erect and work on scaffolding
- may install signs on-site