Payroll Clerks prepare payrolls and related records for employee salaries and statutory record-keeping purposes. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- creating files for new employees to record payroll data
- maintaining and updating files for existing employees to record information such as employee contact details, leave taken, overtime, promotions, transfers, tax deductions, health insurance payments and superannuation
- preparing payroll data from time sheets and other payroll and personnel records
- processing payment of wages and salaries
- issuing and recording adjustments to employees' pay
- interpreting industrial awards
- providing information to employees and managers about payroll matters such as tax issues, benefits and deductions
- finalising files and arrangements when employees retire, resign or transfer
- may be in involved in maintaining superannuation and other deduction and contribution records