Bank Workers receive deposits and pay out money in financial and commercial institutions, keep records of transactions, issue receipts and cash cheques. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- greeting customers, identifying their needs and answering customer inquiries
- ensuring customers' forms are filled in correctly and checking customers' identification
- accepting cash and cheques deposited by customers, verifying records and receipts, and crediting customers' accounts
- paying money to customers according to advice slips, cheques and negotiable documents, and debiting customers' accounts
- providing change, cashing cheques and recording transactions
- opening and closing accounts for customers
- balancing cash and advising supervisors of cash position and discrepancies
- explaining and promoting bank services to customers and referring them to appropriate financial services