Switchboard Operators operate telecommunication switchboards and consoles to assist callers establish telephone connections, and receive caller enquiries and fault reports. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- operating switchboards and consoles to connect, hold, transfer and disconnect telephone calls
- responding to callers' inquiries by providing information such as telephone numbers, dialling codes, call costs, time delays and service difficulties
- investigating operating system problems and informing maintenance services
- alerting emergency services when required
- recording details and determining charges for designated types of calls
- may monitor the efficiency of systems and maintain service sampling records