Transport and Despatch Clerks verify and maintain records of incoming and outgoing goods, prepare goods for despatch, arrange clearance and collection of imported cargo from customs and bond stores, and arrange shipment of cargo for export. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- identifying items and containers of incoming and outgoing shipments and verifying them against consignment records
- ensuring outgoing shipments are in good condition and meet specifications
- arranging internal distribution of goods received
- organising the despatch of goods with completed documentation
- maintaining prescribed records of goods received and despatched
- examining shipping documents and verifying cargo to be released
- recording customs clearance requirements and authorising collection of cargo
- calculating storage and clearance charges and billing customers
- receiving details of outgoing cargo, and arranging bookings of freight space and collection of goods from customers
- providing information to customers on custom tariffs, tariff classifications and concessions, and methods of clearing goods
- Despatching and Receiving Clerk
- Import-Export Clerk