Conveyancers and Legal Executives act for and on behalf of clients in the areas of property transfer, company and business law, trusts, wills, probate and litigation. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- preparing, examining and advising on contracts of sale for properties and businesses
- carrying out title searches and contacting government authorities to find out if any planned development, illegal building work and disputes could affect properties and businesses
- preparing, examining and advising on mortgage documentation
- negotiating the terms and conditions of, and exchanging, contracts of sale, paying deposits, arranging payment of stamp duty, checking for outstanding arrears and land tax obligations, and calculating adjustments for council and water rates
- interviewing clients to determine the nature of issues, and receiving written information concerning cases from Legal Professionals and clients
- conferring with clients and potential witnesses and drawing up statements and proposed affidavits in preparation for court proceedings
- maintaining legal files
- preparing, analysing and interpreting a variety of legal documents
- assisting Legal Professionals to prepare cases for court by conducting investigations, undertaking research, arranging witness preparation and attendance, and preparing and filing court documents
- may supervise Law Clerks and Legal Secretaries and take responsibility for their work
- Legal Executive