Insurance Investigators and Loss Adjusters conduct investigations into insurance claims to ensure their validity, inspect and assess the damage and loss to insured properties and businesses, estimate insurance costs, and inspect insured properties to evaluate conditions affecting underwriting standards. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining scenes of incidents resulting in insurance claims to determine causes and effects
- interviewing witnesses and claimants to obtain details required to assess the validity of claims and identify the parties responsible for accidents, damage and loss, and preparing statements and reports
- inspecting damaged buildings, equipment and motor vehicles and estimating the cost of repairs
- estimating business losses resulting from fire, theft and other business disruptions
- reporting the extent of damage and estimated costs to the insurer
- inspecting property, buildings and operations of commercial and industrial establishments to assess physical conditions and work practices
- evaluating the adequacy of security, fire and related systems
- preparing reports and recommending action to reduce risks
- compiling data which influence the determination of premium rates
- Insurance Investigator
- Insurance Loss Adjuster
- Insurance Risk Surveyor