Retail and Wool Buyers select and buy goods for resale in retail establishments, and value and buy wool sold by wool growers. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- monitoring sales data and stock levels, and studying trade, manufacturers' and market information to keep informed of changing market conditions
- negotiating purchase, promotion and supply arrangements with suppliers
- designing and implementing pricing, marketing, promotional and display strategies
- liaising with management on long-term planning and sales promotions
- establishing working plans according to seasonal and budgetary requirements
- anticipating consumer trends and determining quantity, style and quality of goods to be purchased
- inspecting, comparing, selecting and valuing wool by determining colour, yield, micron and length
- inspecting and buying wool at auction, in wool brokers' stores and in farm sheds
- receiving samples from scoured wool exchanges
- may visit freezing works to buy slipe wool