Telemarketers telephone existing and prospective customers to promote goods and services, and obtain sales and arrange sales visits. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- working from scripts and lists of contacts to promote goods and services by telephone
- creating interest in goods and services, and seeking a sale or agreement to see sales representatives
- arranging processing and despatch of goods and services, information kits and brochures to customers
- arranging appointments for sales representatives
- recording notes for follow-up action and updating marketing databases to reflect changes to the status of each customer
- reporting competitor activities and issues raised by contacts for attention by managers
- maintaining statistics of calls made and successes achieved
- submitting periodic reports on telemarketing activities and results
- may work in a call centre