Paper and Wood Processing Machine Operators operate machines to manufacture paper packaging and other paper products, fibreboard stock, logs, plywood, particle board, solid laminate and similar timber products. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- setting up printing plates, ink circulation systems, knives, creases, cutting dies, and folding and gluing machines
- loading machines with paper and fibreboard
- operating machines to form cardboard containers, paper plates, egg cartons, tissue paper and other paper products
- adjusting and cleaning machines and performing minor repairs
- securing timber into place and setting saws to produce specified sizes of plank and board to be cut
- starting machines and feeding stock onto cutting saw, and operating automatic feed mechanisms
- raising and lowering saws to trim boards and remove defects such as rot and splits
- controlling lathes and slicing machines to produce veneers, and laminating veneer using glue
- verifying dimensions of cut stock and accuracy of cuts
- checking saws and other machines for safety, sharpness and correct functioning
- Paper Products Machine Operator
- Wood Processing Machine Operator