Crane, Hoist and Lift Operators operate stationary and mobile cranes, hoists, lifts and winches to lift, move and place materials, equipment and people in areas such as building sites, factories, mines, sawmills, wharves and shipyards. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- testing the operation of plant before use to ensure safety
- operating controls to rotate cranes, move cranes on fixed rails, raise and lower jibs and booms, and raise, lower and move hooks and objects
- working in conjunction with Construction Riggers and Crane Chasers to position hooks and raise, move and place loads
- controlling the movement of loads, and monitoring speed, acceleration and braking distances directly and by signalling to other operators
- monitoring plant operation, instruments and gauges to detect malfunctions and problems
- lubricating ropes and winches on cranes and replacing worn cables
- may operate cranes fitted with attachments for purposes such as demolition and pile driving
- may operate overhead cranes using hand controls suspended by cables from cranes
- Crane, Hoist or Lift Operator