Drillers, Miners and Shot Firers assemble, position and operate drilling rigs and mining plant, and detonate explosives to extract materials from the earth and demolish structures. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- dismantling, moving and reassembling drilling rigs and accessory plant
- taking samples of ore, liquids and gases and packaging them
- performing minor maintenance and repairs, and lubricating and cleaning plant
- recording performance details and information obtained from wells, and keeping logs detailing operations
- operating surface and underground mining plant
- undertaking development work such as opening up new shafts, drives, air vents, rises and crib rooms
- positioning explosives in bore holes and priming explosives using detonators and explosive cartridges
- connecting wires, fuses and detonating cords to explosive cartridges and detonators, and detonating explosives
- monitoring operation of plant and ensuring safety of other workers on mining sites and during drilling operations
- operating auxiliary plant such as pumps to expel air, water and mud