Commercial Cleaners clean offices, residential complexes, hospitals, schools, industrial work areas, industrial machines, construction sites and other commercial premises using heavy duty cleaning equipment. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- vacuuming carpets, curtains and upholstered furniture
- cleaning, dusting and polishing furniture, fixtures and fittings
- removing rubbish and recyclable material, and emptying containers, bins and trays
- stripping wax from floors, re-waxing and polishing floors
- cleaning and disinfecting laundry and bathroom fixtures, replenishing supplies and reporting defective plumbing fixtures
- operating industrial vacuum cleaners to clean floors, work areas and machines
- removing dust and dirt from ceilings, walls, overhead pipes and fixtures
- applying acids and solvents to surfaces to remove stains and dirt
- removing lint, dust, soot, oil, grease, sludge and other residues from machines, hulls and holds of ships, and interiors and exteriors of furnaces, boilers and tanks
- may clean exteriors of buildings by sand-blasting and applying solvents