Housekeepers perform cleaning and housekeeping duties in hotels, motels and other commercial premises, and in private residences. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- cleaning the interior of buildings and the immediate outside areas
- sweeping, mopping and polishing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, and cleaning curtains and upholstered furniture
- dusting and polishing furniture, fixtures and fittings
- picking up rubbish, emptying garbage containers, and taking contents to waste areas for removal
- restocking minibars and replenishing items such as drinking glasses, writing equipment, linen and groceries
- stripping and making beds, and changing bed linen
- maintaining kitchens, washing dishes and cooking utensils, and cleaning appliances, cupboards, counters, pantries and floors
- picking up, sorting, washing, drying, ironing and mending linen and clothes
- preparing and cooking meals, setting and clearing tables, and serving food and beverages
- taking care of household pets and plants, receiving visitors, answering telephones, delivering messages, and shopping for groceries
- Commercial Housekeeper
- Domestic Housekeeper