Insulation and Home Improvement Installers install a variety of insulation materials to improve resistance to heat, cold, air, sound and moisture, and install functional and decorative home improvements. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining plans, specifications and work sites to determine the type and quality of installations required and their location
- preparing site for insulation and installation of fittings by nailing up furring, drilling holes for screws and bolts, and erecting scaffolding and ladders
- gluing blocks and slabs of foamed plastic and cork to walls
- operating equipment to blow and spray mineral wool, fibre fill and foam insulation material into cavities
- cutting insulation material to size and shape, and nailing and stapling batt-type insulation to joists, studs and furring
- measuring, cutting and applying solar control film to windows
- fitting awnings, security screens, shower screens, prefabricated windows and doors, exterior cladding and other home improvements using hand tools
- drilling holes in wood, brick, stone and fibrous structures, and bolting, screwing and nailing fittings into place
- attaching and adjusting mechanical fittings such as cranks, locks and pull-cords
- installing flashing and waterproofing to fittings such as shower screens and prefabricated windows and doors
- Building Insulation Installer
- Home Improvement Installer