Paving and Surfacing Labourers perform routine tasks associated in laying bituminous and other paving materials on roads, runways, parking areas and other surfaces to be paved. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- sweeping paving bases prior to laying asphalt and other surfaces
- sprinkling and brushing hot and cold-mix asphalt over surfaces to be paved and repaired to bond asphalt toppings to bases
- operating tank-truck distributors and hoses to spray tar and road oils and emulsions on graded surfaces prior to paving
- tripping tail-gate levers to discharge hot-mix asphalt into paving machines, and spreading stone chips, gravel and cold-mix asphalt onto road surfaces
- shovelling asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compacting mix using rakes and hand tampers
- cutting and trimming damaged surfaces using jack-hammers and softening edges of areas to be repaired with blowtorches
- erecting and dismantling barricades
- loading and unloading equipment, and cleaning work sites
- may direct traffic
- Paving and Surfacing Labourer