Meat Boners and Slicers, and Slaughterers trim and cut meat from bones, sides and carcasses, and slaughter livestock in abattoirs. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- operating switching controls to direct and drop carcasses and meat cuts from supply rails to boning tables
- cutting meat to separate meat, fat and tissue from around bones
- washing, scraping and trimming foreign material and blood from meat
- cutting sides and quarters of meat into standard meat cuts, such as rumps, flanks and shoulders, and removing internal fat, blood clots, bruises and other matter to prepare them for packing and marketing
- operating restrainer and stunning equipment
- severing jugular veins of stunned animals to drain blood and facilitate dressing
- trimming and removing head meat and severing animal heads
- slitting open, eviscerating and trimming animal carcasses
- may slaughter livestock according to procedures required by religious customs
- Meat Boner and Slicer