Freight and Furniture Handlers load and unload trucks, containers and rail cars, and transfer cargo between ships and other forms of transport and storage facilities. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- labelling goods with customers' details and destinations
- loading goods into trucks, containers and rail wagons, and securing loads
- assisting to tie down loads and cover them with tarpaulins
- guiding truck drivers into loading bays and through confined spaces
- performing clerical functions to record and check cargo on arrival, storage and despatch
- opening and closing hatches and securing cargo to prevent shifting during voyages
- transferring loads using moving equipment and directing equipment operations using communication systems
- stacking cargo on pallets, trays, flats and slings to facilitate transfer to and from ships
- Freight Handler (Rail or Road)
- Truck Driver's Offsider
- Waterside Worker