Data on Job Outlook are updated on a yearly basis and are compiled from national statistics which may not reflect either regional variations or more recent changes in employment conditions.
- Over the five years to November 2019, the number of job openings for Public Relations Professionals is expected to be average (between 10,001 and 25,000). Job openings count both employment growth and turnover (defined as workers leaving their occupation for other employment or leaving the workforce). Further information about job openings and projected employment growth is available on the Help page.
- Employment for this occupation rose slightly in the past five years, remained relatively steady in the long-term (ten years). Looking forward, employment for Public Relations Professionals to November 2019 is expected to grow very strongly.
- This is a medium sized occupation (17,800 in November 2014) suggesting that opportunities may be limited in some regions.
- Public Relations Professionals have an above average proportion of full-time jobs (80.5 per cent). For Public Relations Professionals working full-time, average weekly hours are 38.6 (compared to 40.9 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the seventh decile. Unemployment for Public Relations Professionals is average.
- The most common level of educational attainment for Public Relations Professionals is Bachelor degree (66.5 per cent).
- Public Relations Professionals are mainly employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, Public Administration and Safety and Health Care and Social Assistance.
These data show 9 key indicators for this occupation - employment size, full-time share of employment, earnings, unemployment, historical employment growth (long-term, medium term and short-term), future employment growth, mix of industries and job openings. Estimates have been rounded and consequently some discrepancies may occur between sums of the component items and totals.
|How many workers are employed in this occupation?||17,800||6|
|How many work full-time (% share)?||80.5||6|
|What are the weekly earnings for full-time workers ($ before tax)?||1229||7|
|How does unemployment compare with other occupations?||average||5|
|What has been the long-term employment growth - 10 years (%)?||0.8||4|
|What has been the medium-term employment growth - 5 years (%)?||3.6||5|
|What has been the short-term employment growth - 2 years (%)?||-6.1||4|
|What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?||very strong growth||9|
|What will be the level of future job openings?||average||6|