Bakers and Pastrycooks prepare and bake bread loaves and rolls, buns, cakes, biscuits and pastry goods. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- checking the cleanliness of equipment and operation of premises before production runs to ensure compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
- checking the quality of raw materials and weighing ingredients
- kneading, maturing, cutting, moulding, mixing and shaping dough and pastry goods
- preparing pastry fillings
- monitoring oven temperatures and product appearance to determine baking times
- coordinating the forming, loading, baking, unloading, de-panning and cooling of batches of bread, rolls and pastry products
- glazing buns and pastries, and decorating cakes with cream and icing
- operating machines which roll and mould dough and cut biscuits
- emptying, cleaning and greasing baking trays, tins and other cooking equipment