Prison Officers supervise and control the activities of inmates in prisons and other correctional institutions. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- observing the conduct and behaviour of prisoners to prevent disturbances and escapes
- inspecting and maintaining the security of locks, window bars, grilles, doors and gates
- supervising prisoners during work assignments, recreational periods, sporting activities and meals
- assisting with the implementation of education, rehabilitation and other programs organised for prisoners
- searching prisoners and cells for weapons, drugs and other contraband items
- patrolling assigned areas and reporting breaches of rules, unsatisfactory attitudes and prisoner adjustment problems
- requisitioning prisoners' clothing, toiletries, reading material and other allowable items
- supervising prisoners in transit between courts, prisons and other facilities