Tourism and Travel Advisers plan and organise travel and accommodation for clients, and provide travel and accommodation information to tourists. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- determining clients' requirements for travel, accommodation and special interests
- suggesting itineraries based on available travel routes and cost, availability and convenience of transport
- making and confirming travel and accommodation reservations and informing clients of bus, plane, ship and train connections
- notifying clients of travel dates, baggage limits, and medical and visa requirements
- providing information on tourist attractions and tour availability, and procedures for dealing with lost and stolen documents
- assisting with travel clearances
- collecting payments and issuing clients' itineraries, relevant documentation, tickets for travel and vouchers for accommodation
- providing information on travel insurance, relevant government regulations such as customs regulations, and use of credit cards and traveller's cheques
- answering inquiries from tourists and offering suggestions about tours, travel routes, accommodation and local customs
- providing literature and information on local and interstate tours and places of interest
- discussing transport availability and cost
- may work in a call centre
- Tourist Information Officer
- Travel Consultant