Fitness Instructors direct, instruct and guide individuals and groups in the pursuit of physical fitness and wellbeing. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above. A one page printable summary of the key statistics for this occupation can also be found under the Reports and Links tab above. Just click on the tab and follow the link for Occupational Bulletin.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- consulting with various Health Professionals to develop and design fitness programs
- designing individual fitness programs based on assessment of the client's age, level of fitness, goals and abilities
- delivering group exercise classes and personal tuition in a variety of fitness activities in a safe and creative manner
- demonstrating and teaching body movements and skills used in fitness routines
- setting up and monitoring fitness equipment and ensuring that equipment is safe, clean and in working condition
- teaching and advising on the use of fitness equipment
- ensuring clients are aware of and adhere to safety and injury prevention procedures
- reporting accidents and preparing accident reports
- maintaining a working knowledge of current health and safety standards and ensuring working practices and procedures conform to current legislation
- maintaining current first aid certificates