Data on Job Outlook are updated on a yearly basis and are compiled from national statistics which may not reflect either regional variations or more recent changes in employment conditions.
- Over the five years to November 2019, the number of job openings for Software and Applications Programmers is expected to be above average (between 25,001 and 50,000). Job openings count both employment growth and turnover (defined as workers leaving their occupation for other employment or leaving the workforce). Further information about job openings and projected employment growth is available on the Help page.
- Employment for this occupation remained relatively steady in the past five years and rose moderately in the long-term (ten years). Looking forward, employment for Software and Applications Programmers to November 2019 is expected to grow strongly.
- This is a very large occupation (85,600 in November 2014) suggesting that opportunities should be available in most regions.
- Software and Applications Programmers have a high proportion of full-time jobs (91 per cent). For Software and Applications Programmers working full-time, average weekly hours are 39.4 (compared to 40.9 for all occupations) and earnings are high - in the ninth decile. Unemployment for Software and Applications Programmers is average.
- The most common level of educational attainment for Software and Applications Programmers is Bachelor degree (54.6 per cent).
- Software and Applications Programmers are mainly employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, Financial and Insurance Services and Public Administration and Safety.
These data show 9 key indicators for this occupation - employment size, full-time share of employment, earnings, unemployment, historical employment growth (long-term, medium term and short-term), future employment growth, mix of industries and job openings. Estimates have been rounded and consequently some discrepancies may occur between sums of the component items and totals.
|How many workers are employed in this occupation?||85,600||10|
|How many work full-time (% share)?||91.0||8|
|What are the weekly earnings for full-time workers ($ before tax)?||1610||9|
|How does unemployment compare with other occupations?||average||5|
|What has been the long-term employment growth - 10 years (%)?||17.6||6|
|What has been the medium-term employment growth - 5 years (%)?||-0.4||4|
|What has been the short-term employment growth - 2 years (%)?||3||6|
|What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?||strong growth||8|
|What will be the level of future job openings?||above average||8|