Internal Medicine Specialists diagnose and treat internal human disorders and diseases using specialist testing, diagnostic and medical techniques. Medical Registrars training as Internal Medicine Specialists are included in this unit group. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining patients to determine the nature and extent of problems after referral from General Medical Practitioners and other medical specialists, and undertaking laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures
- analysing test results and other medical information to make diagnoses
- prescribing and administering drugs, and remedial and therapeutic treatment and procedures
- recording medical information and data
- reporting specified contagious and notifiable diseases to government health and immigration authorities
- may admit or refer patients to hospitals
- may consult other medical specialists
- Specialist Physician (General Medicine)
- Clinical Haematologist
- Clinical Oncologist
- Intensive Care Specialist
- Renal Medicine Specialist
- Thoracic Medicine Specialist
- Internal Medicine Specialists