Shearers remove wool and hair from sheep, goats, alpacas and other animals. The links below provide quick access to basic information for this occupation. Greater detail can be found using any of the page tabs above.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- selecting and preparing shearing equipment
- catching and positioning animals for shearing
- shearing and removing wool and hair from animals
- identifying contaminated fibre and injured, infected and diseased animals
- treating skin cuts
- returning shorn animals to let-out pens for counting and checking
- may service, maintain and repair shearing equipment
- may shear stud animals with hand shears or special combs