Air Transport Professionals fly and navigate aircraft, control and direct air traffic to ensure the safe and efficient operation of aircraft in flight and on the ground, and instruct students in flying aircraft.
A Bachelor Degree or higher, or at least 5 years of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around two in five workers have a university degree. Aeroplane and Helicopter Pilots require a minimum amount of flying experience in addition to a qualification. Registration or licensing is mandatory.
- preparing and submitting flight plans giving consideration to factors such as weather conditions and aircraft performance
- flying aircraft in accordance with established air traffic control and aircraft operating procedures
- providing flight information for flight crews and air traffic services staff
- controlling aircraft movements, and directing aircraft taxiing, take-offs and landings by radio
- providing pre-flight briefings and aeronautical information services
- completing cockpit preparations and external inspections to determine that aircraft are acceptable for flight
- monitoring aircraft performance and reporting on mechanical condition
- giving in-flight instruction, supervising solo flights, accompanying students on training flights and demonstrating techniques for controlling aircraft
- Aeroplane Pilot
- Air Traffic Controller
- Flying Instructor
- Helicopter Pilot
- Other Air Transport Professionals
Flies aeroplanes to transport passengers, mail and freight, or provide agricultural, aerial surveillance or other aviation services. Registration or licensing is required.
Air Traffic Controller
Ensures the safe and efficient movement of aircraft in controlled airspace and aerodromes by directing aircraft movements. Registration or licensing is required.
Teaches the theory and practical skills of flying aircraft. Registration or licensing is required.
Specialisations: Gliding Pilot Instructor, Helicopter Pilot Instructor
Flies helicopters to transport passengers, mail or freight, or provide agricultural, aviation or aerial surveillance services. Registration or licensing is required.
Other Air Transport Professionals
Includes Aircraft Navigator, Airworthiness Inspector, Balloonist, Flight Engineer Inspector. Registration or licensing is required.